Friday, November 16, 2007

Joke of the week

I resigned after 5 days of work. Yes, that's the joke of the week coz I don't think anyone has ever heard of people quitting so soon, expecially in Singapore where people can remain unemployable for years! But I must admit I was very brave to hand in the letter of resignation and it took me less than an hour to type that out! So amazingly short-lived. This brings me to the point of staying loyal to one's organisation. Does this incident make me an unfaithful employee? Does it question future employers about my liabilities and sense of responsibility?

To a small extent, yes. They would be curious about the outcome but the only reason I can give is their inflexibility to make small changes. It is because of this rigidity and mere compromise of my welfare at the expense of their selfish interests that made me really determined to resign. They tried to let me stay but I was insistent so there wasnt much they could do. And this marks the end of my tour in that company.

So right now, I've been offered a temp job at an art exhibition, promoting famous artwork by regional artists. This is, again, a totally different field and I find much joy in realising how much fun I might experience learning from the experts. I would be more cultured, probably, and eyes more skewed towards any artpieces. I would pay more attention to the themes and issues drawn out on the huge canvases and see if I can recognise with the artists who painstakingly produced those pieces of wonder. Like what my parents always say, you learn new things in doing something new and you must be grateful for these opportunities because they make u a better person and give u the life experience you need. I guess that's the essence of work.

Apart from this, I went for another job interview at hdb hub just now. It's a bank job and it's uber convenient for me, only 10 min walk from home. And more importantly, I'm comfortable with my job scope. It entails calling up customers and liasing with participating companies to promote bank services. The interview went quite well, but it was a little scary when I was made to sell a pen on the spot! So I went totally factual about it, nothing sentimental or emotional to cling on to customers, which is a good thing coz my personal belief is never to force something onto someone coz it's plain rude. Speak nicely and offer assistance. Be gentle and polite. Those are the ground rules, or the customers would just hate you! Really. In fact, this NKF lady called this afternoon to ask if I could help to find donors. Naturally, the response is yes but before I could say anything, her remarks were plain crude and to a certain extent, distasteful and rude. She wasnt tactful enuf coz she kept emphasizing on the '6 donors only' and how she made it sound like I'm obliged to render my service to them. To even donate on a monthly basis wasnt a long-term commitment I could give coz I need money myself but her words were very discouraging. 'Not a lot of money', 'just require a bit'. I understand her desperation in gaining our trust after the scam but this isnt the way to win back our heart. Plus, she made it seem like some lowly regarded organisation that needs public funds urgently. Since when is the management so incapable of handling their funds? Argh.I shant express my concerns too much for fear that my blog might be blacklisted and purged.

No comments: