It seems so surreal but yes, 2008 has come and embraced everyone of us. This is going to be a very eventful year for me because I would be celebrating my 21st birthday, the indication to individual independence and freedom. This is nicely coupled with my freshman year at UWA Med School, where I will begin my many years of study there. I will foresee numerous surprises and changes in my life and I'm still grappling with the fearful thoughts of not being able to cope in a new environment. Not only that, I will miss my family and friends as well as the comfort of living in Singapore. I will experience a culture shock but I would love to learn the Aussie's way of living as well as their culture. I know it's definitely going to be tough and tortuous but I have the perseverance, determination and optimism to bring me through this year.
2007 came and left so quickly. It was a very memorable and fruitful year for me because I feel that I've grown a lot this year. At the beginning of the year, I made a wish to be given a chance to read med and after many months of anticipation and anxiety, I've earned my place. It was a tough journey I took. It was a very challenging and mind-boggling experience as I went through the entire process of researching, applying, writing personal statements, waiting, preparing for interviews and waiting again for the final outcome. No doubt the whole process wore me off but I'm glad that I went through it as I feel that I've become more appreciative, mature, contented and passionate about life and my dream. 'Nothing is impossible; with optimism, effort and support, anything is possible'. I hope that this will be etched in my mind firmly for the rest of my life.
In 2008, I hope to set some goals for myself. They have to be reasonably achievable, challenging and would make a lasting impact on my life.
Firstly, I want to settle in Perth really quickly by making friends and engaging in activities. I want to make the best use of my time there to do soul-searching and finding my true identity. Living in Singapore makes me feel suppressed, so much so that I dont express very freely here. Since I'll be staying in a more liberal place, I want to seize the opportunity to make myself heard and just be myself. Another thing about settling down fast is that I could save some money by finding out the cheaper alternatives there. I'm pretty sure the locals would help me in that aspect. More importantly, settling down fast would not make my family worry that much. It takes lots of courage, independence and encouragement to fit in.
Secondly, I hope to do well in my first year as it would give me the motivation to strive in the later years. Studying for so many years takes patience, encouragement and self-motivation to pull through. When I was considering taking up this course, I told myself that if I've the chance to read med, I want to excel and not be the lousy, incompetent doctor that patients loathe. The clinical trainings will take me a step closer to cementing all the medical theory and facts with the fine personality I think I have. A good doctor must possess a strong desire to care for and treat any patient without prejudices or discrimination. One must also be passionate about life, optimistic, and far-sighted in making decisions. Responsibility and accountability are key traits of an excellent doctor too. Needless to say, a competent doctor must be intelligent and have a high threshold for medical knowledge.
My 2008 resolutions sound very noble and simple but it takes much effort to achieve them. I will remember that when the going gets tough, I must fight on no matter what and finish the race. After all, we must do things that will never leave us with regrets and remorse. All the best to everyone, especially my family, relatives and friends.
Happy New Year!
Tuesday, January 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment