Sunday, October 7, 2007

How to keep our edge?

I was watching the last episode of grey's season 2 this morning so that I could start on season 3 later. The episode was crafted so nicely that it left many relationships in the show suspended to keep us glued to season 3. There are many issues that the show touches on.

The love issue, which is very prevalent in this medico-romance drama, presents itself as a sensitive and fragile thread. One day we might be deeply in love and the other day we might just fall out over a trivial issue. Take Christina and Burke for example. A selfish decision to sleep during sex and later on lost the chance to tackle a transplant case almost tore the deeply-etched relationship down. The hyper-sensitive Callie is another fine example of person who is fully aware and sensitive to the way people think and treat her. That, too, almost costed the transient and blossoming affection she has for O'Malley.

The show usually makes problems indirect so that viewers like myself can make our own judgement and decisions. The case whereby Meredith still feels attached to McDreamy even though he's married makes us look into the ethical side of love, whether we're entitled to our rights to pursue our dreams or respect societal norms and abide by strong personal principles/ethics to keep our emotions at bay. This, of course, is not the only example. In fact, most of the time, the grey'd directors employ this technique to win the hearts of avid viewers.

Apart from love, friendship and daily commodities of life, an important aspect that the show covers is how doctors and surgeons really feel. The tension and competition they face is evident everywhere in this world. People fight among themselves to emerge as the top because this would give them pride, a sense of achievement and what they're really capable of. However, we must not neglect the minorities who stick close as a gang so that in times of crisis, they don't stand alone. You know for sure that no man is an island, and with the help of so many hands and brains, it's best thing to have in this line.

No matter how successful you might be, you'll definitely face problems that attest to your softer side. By this, I mean that doctors and surgeons are human and they feel for patients too. The primary role of doctors is to solve any problems (physical, mental and emotional) patients might face. However, if the condition of the patients they treat worsens, how do they feel? Especially when patients die before your eyes and no matter how much you know about reviving dying patients, he just has to go, would you feel the anguish and sadness in witnessing their passing? As I watched this morning, I teared. Not because the patient died (sometimes it's inevitable and even imminent), but at the part where the doctors blamed themselves for ruling out certain factors that could kill the patient. I know at heart that it's not their fault because it all happened too sudden, but does that warrant us to live in peace after the incident? The fragilities of life was portrayed in a simplistic manner. One wrong move and the gravest outcome might follow.

"Izzie, the moment he stopped breathing he's no longer Denny." It hit me hard. Is this based on the fact that we have souls? I'm currently reading Stiff by Mary Roach and the interesting stuff mentioned are worth noting down. The writer wrote that doctors working on cadavers or corpses must never see them as humans, even though they used to be. They must not see them as a being because it only adds on to the pain. Like I mentioned, doctors are also human. Don't you think that doctors don't tear when they cut the cadavers up? I'm still trying to keep the edge by not putting my emotions into all these because I don't want to end up feeling sad after each dissection lesson.

So much for a food for thought. I shall start the grey's s3 marathon soon!

No comments: